Fish Pond Maintenance
We’re not fishing for compliments but we are experts on fish ponds and dams for corporate garden maintenance clients. Life Landscapes has extensive experience in maintaining fish ponds and caring for fish, frogs and other aquatic life. We own a breeding stock of common fish that occur naturally in South African waters.
If you are an auspicious client who believes in feng shui and that eight gold fish and one black will bring your business prosperity, then Life Landscapes can facilitate this for you.
Your fish pond maintenance programme will be treated uniquely according to the pond and the amount of fish. Our landscape technicians will set a feeding and cleaning routine that is safe for the fish and will keep the pond’s ecosystem balanced. We will adjust the pond care to suit the seasons.
If you have water on your property, we recommend getting fish as they are the best way to keep your mosquito and midge population down. Certain fish species also serve as an organic way of controlling algae.
Life Landscapes recommends the following indigenous plants for your South African fish pond:
• Cape pond weed (Aponogeton distachyos)
• Water parsnip (Berula repanda)
• Orange river lily (Crinum bulbispermum)
• Miniature papyrus (Cyperus prolifer)
• Cape blue water lily (Nymphaea nouchali Burm f. var. caerulea)
• Floating hearts (Nymphoides thunbergiana)
• Dogwood (Rhamnus prinoides)
• River stars (Spiloxene aquatic)
• Bloodroot (Wachendorfia thyrsiflora Burm)
• Arum lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica)
Life Landscapes has the capacity to take care of fish ponds, man-made dams, streams and water features for gardens and golf courses that we maintain. We do not offer this service to businesses that are not currently clients. If you are building a large dam or an intricate pond of a high value, we can assist with the design, installation, indigenous fish species and native aquatic plants.